eDiscovery (electronic discovery) is the practice of identifying, locating and securing relevant information that may be used in litigation. While there are several focused eDiscovery solutions, Microsoft now provides eDiscovery capabilities as part of Office 365 administration. This native tool allows you to search for content in Exchange Online mailboxes, groups, SharePoint Online and Sites, and Skype for Business conversations. The Exchange Admin Center (EAC) provides In-Place eDiscovery if only searching mailboxes. The Office 365 Security & Compliance Center enables you to identify, hold, and export content found in Office 365 mailboxes and sites.
Office 365 provides the following eDiscovery tools:
- Content Search in the Office 365 Security & Compliance Center
- eDiscovery Cases in the Office 365 Security & Compliance Center
- In-Place eDiscovery in Exchange Online
- The eDiscovery Center in SharePoint Online
- Office 365 Advanced eDiscovery
eDiscovery Management in Office 365
The Office 365 Security & Compliance Center lets you assign eDiscovery roles to prevent just anyone from accessing the eDiscovery administration and management. Anyone in the eDiscovery Managers role can perform searches and place legal holds on mailboxes, SharePoint Online sites, and OneDrive for Business locations. They are also able to create and manage eDiscovery cases, add and remove members to a case, and create and edit Content Searches associated with a case.
eDiscovery Administrators are members of the eDiscovery Manager Role but have additional permissions to:
- View all eDiscovery cases in your organization
- Manage any eDiscovery case after they add themselves as a member of the case
- Access Office 365 Advanced eDiscovery (analyze unstructured data within Office 365, perform document review, near-duplicates detection, predictive coding technology, etc.)
Having many years of experience in archives and their eDiscovery components, we are able to help troubleshoot eDiscovery searches. Bishop can help support Office 365’s native eDiscovery tools by offering assistance on how to search or establish parameters. We can help ensure that your eDiscovery tools are up to par and functioning as intended.